Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Yoke of Jesus


Matthew 11:25-27, “At that time Jesus declared, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the son chooses to reveal him.”

In David Guzik’s commentary on this passage he says, “There is an important difference in the way that the Son knows the Father, and the way we may know Him. We know God the Father because He stoops low to us to make Himself known. God the Son knows God the Father because they are equal in nature, completely compatible with one another.” (Enduringword.com)

What I really want to hit on are the verses that follow. Right after Jesus declares these things to the Father in heaven, he says in verse 28, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Jesus is displaying the fact that He has all authority when he says to the crowds, “come unto me.” Jesus is not telling the crowds to go to the law, or to go find hope or rest in their friends or circumstances. But He wants us to come to Him and Him alone; we will find ultimate rest and joy in Jesus and His Word not in people and the world. Jesus promises at the end of verse 28, “I will give you rest.” 

In verses 29-30 it says, “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

What does it look like to take Jesus’ yoke upon yourself? We are always tying ourselves with some sort of opinion or belief. We are always trying to find peace and contentment in something. In this verse, Jesus is inviting us to put on His yoke and learn from him. He promises us again if we do this, “you will find rest for your souls.” Jesus also tells us, “my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” Through these words, Jesus is promising that if we take his yoke, it will be easy for he will be right next to us upholding us. We aren’t going to be walking alone anymore.  What a great promise that came from the very mouth of Jesus!

If you feel like life or a situation is too much to handle, remember this promise from Jesus. That if you have put your faith in the death and resurrection of Christ. You have the “yoke of Jesus” on, He is with you at all times. He already bore the cross for your and my sin. Even if every thing on this earth went wrong, would you still remember that the only thing that matters has already been taken care of for you? Would you still have faith that Jesus is in the yoke with you helping your persevere to the end? Dive into the Word for yourself and find hope in Jesus, “the founder and perfecter of our faith.” (Hebrews 12:2)

1 comment: