Friday, February 17, 2012

Are Our Hearts in the Right Place?


Matthew 6:19, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.”

As I read this probably for the 1,000th time in my life today. Something stuck out to me that I never really took the time to think about before. It was the fact that the first two words of this verse are a pretty clear command. Jesus is not just recommending something to the crowds and disciples; He gives them a clear command “Do not!” What crosses your mind when someone starts a sentence off with those two words? For me, I know if my parents or coach, or anyone talking to me says, ‘Do not do this or that,’ I’m not going to do that thing.  If I disagree, I’m going to ask them a question, but I don’t think the crowds or disciples needed to ask Jesus any questions because it seems to me that he answers why he gives this command in the following verses.

Jesus continues on into verse 20 and 21 where they say, “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal, for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

The last part of the verse really struck me. I think a lot of times we can ask questions like: How many possessions can I have and still be able to serve God? Is it fine to have this nice car and house? I’m going to quote my good friend and pastor Dave Brewer from a recent message that he shared with the youth, “If we have a greater picture of Christ and a greater image of His beauty, we will stop asking the wrong questions.” I think this sums up what I started to realize when I was reading this passage. If we really understand what Christ did on the cross for our sins. If we truly understand the significance of what God did for us in order to welcome us into His family as his children. If we have a greater picture of how big He is through His Word. We will stop asking the wrong questions.

Are you able to say, “If I lose everything in life, my family, my house, my friends, my job, I will still be content for I have the Lord and that’s all I truly need.”

Instead of asking how much can I have and still serve the Lord, let us pray to the Lord, “I am yours and my possessions are yours. Please use me and all I have in anyway you choose to advance your kingdom and gospel across this earth!”

2 comments: