Monday, February 6, 2012

David: The Fugitive


1 Samuel 22:1-2, “David departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam. And when his brothers and all his father’s house heard it, they went down there to him.  And everyone who was in distress, and everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was bitter in soul, gathered to him. And he became captain over them. And there were with him about four hundred men. “

Saul was seeking to kill David. Even after David had saved Israel from Goliath and repeated attacks by the Philistines. Saul grew envious of all the fame and glory that David was receiving. Instead of Saul praising the Lord for sending him David, he continually tried to kill David. So David had gone from hero to fugitive in a matter of years. David found himself in a cave and many historians believe this is where Psalm 142 was composed.

Psalm 142:3-5 say, “When my spirit faints within me, you know my way! In the path where I walk they have hidden a trap for me.  Look to the right and see; there is none who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul. I cry to you, O Lord; I say, ‘You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.’”

As David was in trouble, he cried out to the Lord. And the Lord brought him his family, the same family that barely recognized him as a family member back when Samuel came searching in 1 Samuel 16.  How precious this must have had to be for David. God also brought to him those in trouble under King Saul, that they might all be dependent on the Lord together rather then man!

1 Samuel 22:5, “’Do not remain in the strong-hold; depart, and go into the land of Judah.’ So David departed and went into the forest of Hereth.”

The prophet Gad spoke to David and told him to get up from the comfort in the stronghold and go back to Judah where Saul was reigning.  I’m sure it was David’s last desire to go back to where Saul was reigning. Yet, David had seen the Lord be faithful in the past with Goliath and the Philistines on multiple occasions and knew the Lord’s faithfulness would be with them again!

Are you trusting in the faithfulness of God in the midst of all your circumstances? Are you seeking hard after the Lord to know His will for your life? Or are you just relaxing in the comfort of your life  waiting for something to happen? God wants us to be actively pursuing Him and actively pursuing what He has for our life. Seek the Lord in the Word and cry out to Him in prayer and He is going to make clear your paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment