Friday, January 27, 2012

300: The Spartans and Israelites.


Today, if the number 300 is mentioned, everyone thinks of the movie that came out in 2006. The movie shows the historical event of King Leonidas leading 300 courageous Spartan warriors as they attempt to defeat the massive army of the Persians. Spoiler alert: Though they give a valiant effort, they end up failing in the end.

“We are Sparta!” is a constant cheer throughout the movie. The Spartan people believe that their own training and strength will help them prevail and have a chance at beating the thousands of Persians in front of them. Yet that isn’t enough.  So why am I rambling on about the 300 Spartans?

Well I was continuing my reading in Judges today and I came across the number 300. I was immediately reminded of the movie “300.” Then as I continued to read, I was in awe as I saw 300 men under the leadership of Gideon conquer over 130,000 Midianites. If you’re curious as I was, 130,000 divided by 300 is 45,333.33.

My last post I talked about how Gideon doubted the Lord from the beginning of the Angel showing up to him. Yet after seeing signs and miracles from the Lord, he wouldn’t doubt anymore. Gideon started off his journey to attack the Midianites with around 32,000 men.

Judges 7:2-3, “The Lord said to Gideon, ‘The people with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand, lest Israel boast over me, saying, ‘My own hand has saved me.’  Now therefore proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, ‘Whoever is fearful and trembling, let him return home and hurry away from Mount Gilead.’ ’ Then 22,000 of the people returned, and 10,000 remained.”

So Gideon was about to fight 130,000 men with his 32,000, and then 2/3rds of those men were taken away. What would have your response been to that? Gideon didn’t even have a chance to respond before the Lord spoke again.

Verse 4, “And the Lord said to Gideon, ‘The people are still to many.’”

The Lord wasn’t messing around; he wanted the people of Israel to give Him all the credit for the defeat of the Midianites.

Verse 7, “And the Lord said to Gideon, ‘With the 300 men who lapped I will save you and give the Midianites into your hand, and let all the others go every man to his home.”

300 to 130,000 is 1 Israelite to every 45,333 Midianites. The Lord wasn’t leaving any room for the Israelites to boast. He wanted them to give all the glory and praise to Him. Spoiler Alert: The 300 Israelites win and defeat the Midianites. They trusted in the Lord and were able to defeat the Midianites.

God is able to do things we cannot even fathom. But that only happens when we put our complete trust in our savior and kill the doubt that rules our heart each and every day. As I said in my last post, God has given us his Word to study and know each and every day. He has given us example after example of those who put their complete faith in Him, and live their lives wanting more and more of Him. He blesses those who run after and press into Him with faith.

Hebrews 11 lists out person after person who placed their faith in Christ and was commended by the Lord. In verse 32, it says, “And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets—who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.”

If 300 men can defeat an army of 135,000 because their faith in God was strong, what more can our generation do through putting our complete 100% faith in the power of the Lord??

1 comment: