Monday, January 23, 2012

Clinging Daily?

What does it mean to cling daily to the Lord? As I have recently been diving into God's word each and every day, I've wanted to find ways to encourage specifically my generation to seek harder after God and His Word. I read Joshua over the last few days, and each day as I opened it and asked God to speak to me in new ways.  I was blown away by the Lord's faithfulness to answer that prayer each and every time! Yesterday, as I was praying, I asked the Lord to reveal to me ways He wants me to encourage my generation to love him and His Word more. I think he made it clear to me, when he hit me with the word "cling" twice in the four chapters of Joshua I was reading. 

Joshua 22:5, "Only be very careful to observe the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the Lord commanded you, to love the Lord your God, and to walk in all his ways and to keep his commandments and to cling to him and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul."

Joshua 23:6-8, "Therefore, be very strong to keep and to do all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, turning aside from it neither to the right hand nor to the left, that you may not mix with these nations remaining among you or make mention of the names of their gods or swear by them or serve them or bow down to them, but you shall cling to the Lord your God just as you have done to this day."

Cling is defined in the dictionary as: "to hold or hold on tightly or tenaciously." 
Tenacious is defined in the dictionary as: "persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired."

The Word of God should be valued or desired more then any other possession that you have. It gives us hope in the midst of an empty world! If you know God's word well enough, you will be able to fight temptations of this world. You will have a bigger picture of how great our God is! You will be able to cling to the Lord in the midst of trials. Are you trying to obtain the word of God so deep in your heart that you will be able to flee from worldly passions or desires? Or are you being content in your walk? I think the biggest thing I want to see my generation gain is a greater love for God’s Word! If we take God at his word and study the Holy Scriptures, not only will temptation to sin become smaller. Our love for the Lord and the gospel will become deeper and the Love of Christ will shine through us. Tonight even, ask the Lord in prayer to give you a love for Him and His word that you have never experienced before. Ask him to make the scriptures come alive to you!

Do you want to be able to be like Paul and say to your friends, "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.” (1 Corinthians 11:1.)

Real briefly, before I come to a close. I want to just give a brief testimony to God's faithfulness to me as I have been reading the scriptures recently. So as I was saying, I was studying the book of Joshua. God was showing me new things every day through Joshua and his people. As I sat down yesterday to finish the book, I knew Joshua was going to die at the end and I wanted to prolong that as long as possible. As I read about Joshua's faithfulness to the Lord and how He encouraged his people to love the Lord and forsake the idols of this world, I felt like I was there with Him. When I reached the end of Joshua 24 and He died, I started to get emotional. I thought to myself, this is kind of weird that I'm getting emotional about someone who passed away like 4000 years ago. Yet then it struck me, God's given us His word to encourage His children 4000 years later through the actions of one of His servants! He was making alive His word in my heart and challenging me to not be content in my walk with the Lord but seek hard after Him and encourage my generation to forsake the idols and things of this world and serve the one true God.

I'm going to try and post on this blog daily to encourage my generation to cling to the Lord and His word each and every day. Cause as we seek hard after Him and His word, He is going to use our generation to accomplish great things for His name and for His glory! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is amazing! Thank you for sharing...I am really looking forward to reading the book of Joshua now. That was very encouraging and motivating Tuffer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! So...i'm not exactly your generation but just in this one post I am more encouraged to press into the Word and specifically to pray more before reading that God would open my eyes to my sin and things in His word that I have not been aware of before. I enjoyed our chat tonight and am so grateful that you are at CLC. Thanks for pursuing Christ with all your heart, soul and mind! I am praying for you...
    helen

    ReplyDelete