Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pour Out Your Soul to the Lord: Hannah


My study of 1 Samuel started today and I love seeing God continue to work through the weaknesses of humans.  God loves his children when they are faithful to pour out their heart and cry out to Him. For most of us, we have times in our lives where we just don’t understand what is going on. How could my friend be diagnosed with cancer? Why does God have me moving away from all my friends? Why did I just lose my job? We’re tempted to lack trust in our Savior during times like these. Hannah was one of two wives to Elkanah, and was the wife that could not conceive any children for her husband.

In 1:6-7 it says, “And her rival used to provoke her grievously to irritate her, because the Lord had closed her womb…Therefore Hannah wept and would not eat.” Doesn’t it seems that at times of weakness, more obstacles are placed in your path to test your trust? I think we have an answer on how to overcome these obstacles.

In 1 Peter 5:8-9, it says, “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.” Remember, you are not alone in what you experience. We have examples in the bible to look too; we have brothers and sisters around the world who have experienced what we are going through. The devil is going to do everything he can to pounce on us when we are down to keep us down. We must do three things according to this passage, be sober-minded, watchful and firm in our faith!

Continuing on in 1 Samuel, Hannah speaks to the Lord through prayer in verse 11, ‘Oh Lord of hosts, if you will indeed look on the affliction of your servant and remember me and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a son, then I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life.” Later on in verse 15, Hannah explains to Eli the priest what she has been doing, “I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, I have been pouring out my soul before the Lord.” Instead of taking her anger, frustration and anxieties to things of this world, she takes it to the Lord! She knows He is listening. She is being sober minded and standing firm in her faith.

God blesses her faithfulness to him in verse 20, “And in due time Hannah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Samuel, for she said, ‘I have asked for him from the Lord.’”

Remember back in verse 11 when Hannah says, “I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life.” She is faithful to follow up her words with action in verses 27-28, “”For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.  Therefore I have lent him to the Lord. As long as he lives, he is lent to the Lord.’ And he worshiped the Lord there.”

The next verse we get into chapter 2. The first thing Hannah does is lift up a prayer to the Lord, “There is none holy like the Lord; there is none besides you; there is no rock like our God.” She continues to praise the Lord for his goodness through thick and thin! When she experiences trials, she goes to the Lord in prayer. When she experiences blessings, she goes to the Lord in prayer. Let’s follow in her example!

No comments:

Post a Comment